Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Treat me good

My garden is treating me so good right now. Better than I deserve.

I try and love it whenever I can. I give it seeds and the water I'm allowed to give it. And buckets from the shower and the sink and all that. Not much but I give what I can. But it never complains hardly...

and today when I got home so so tired from weeding all day at work and carrying scarecrows, listening to droning men, cleaning out the chicken shed, working overtime and sore feet and hungry...

well my garden put out so much goodness for me. handfulls of beans hiding all coy under tangly vines, beans that are slightly downy and ever so tender... little lebanese zucchini firm and stripey and big shiny wads of basil... grilled the zucchini and they are uncannily sweet. perfect with beans on top of the mashed potato i'd been craving. threw the basil in the mortar and pestle and bashed it with garlic and pine nuts into quasi pesto, haloumi in the frypan to top it all off melty melty...

mmm baby you're so good to come home to.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

The fruits of your gardening labours sound so good! I love zucchini, pesto and haloumi. Mmmm mmm.

I do not have a good record with tending plants, but I received a tomato plant yesterday and I'm gonna give it a go - wish me luck. :-)